Leave of Absence
How do I apply for a leave?
- Discuss your need for leave with your Supervisor/Department Chair/PI.
- Input your formal leave request into AP Folio (see Leave User Guide for detailed instructions)
- If applicable, you will receive information from the AP Leave Administrator regarding any legal designations you are eligible for. Follow the instructions provided to return any needed paperwork to have these designations applied to your policy approved leave.
Will my leave be paid?
Pay during any leave is driven by policy. Please refer to the applicable policy based on your job type and leave type (see the Policy Information on Leaves section of the website), and refer any questions, as appropriate, to your College or Division Academic Personnel Analyst or the Academic Personnel Office.
I’m having a baby, how much time off am I allowed to take?
Will my benefits continue when I am on a Leave of Absence?
- When on a paid leave of absence, benefits will continue and benefit premiums are deducted directly from your paycheck.
- When on an unpaid leave of absence, employees can elect to continue benefit coverage for the duration of their leave. Benefit premiums for any continuing benefits are paid via Direct Billing with UCPath Center.
- Employees are responsible for paying the Employee Only portion of premiums for the dates that leaves are designated under FMLA, CFRA and/or PDL.
- Employees are responsible for paying the Employee and Employer portion of premiums for the dates that leaves are not designated under FMLA, CFRA and/or PDL.
How do I know if my leave will be designated under FMLA, CFRA and/or PDL?
Eligibility criteria for FMLA, CFRA and PDL can be found in Understanding Legal Entitlements and Protections under the Medical/Pregnancy Leave Entitlements, Protections & Resources section of the AP website. Once your leave has been initiated in AP Folio, if you are eligible for any of these legal entitlements, the Leave Administrator will follow up with information and directions on any actions you will need to take to have these legal designations applied to your approved policy leave.