Menu Menu
Academic Personnel
Menu Academic Personnel
Menu UCSB - AP
Menu University of California Santa Barbara
Menu Menu
University of California Santa Barbara
Resources for Department Analysts

Frequently Asked Questions

Without Salary Visitors - Red Binder III-25

Do without salary visitors (TCs: 3299, 3730, & 3731) need to be entered into PPS?

Yes, all without salary visitors need to be entered into PPS.

What documents are required for an appointment as a Without Salary Visitor?

The Visitor Form Letter, a UCSB biography form, and a patent agreement must be submitted to Academic Personnel.

Where does the approval authority for this appointment reside?

The approval authority is with the Department Chair or Director (with post-audit by Academic Personnel).

Will Academic Personnel contact me with respect to the “post-audit”?

No, Academic Personnel will not contact the department(s), when doing the post-audit, unless there is a question, clarification needed, or the appointment doesn’t look appropriate, per policy.

Can appointments be for longer than one year?

Appointments may only be made for one year at a time. Reappointment is possible, however individuals with longer term associations with the University may be better suited for either appointment into another title or affiliate status (see below.)

Are all “visitors” covered by the policy?

No. Only visitors who meet the criteria outlined in the policy are covered. Individuals who do not meet the criteria may still receive a UCSBnetID by holding affiliate status through identity management. Further information is available at

Do visitors need to sign a state oath or I-9 form?

By policy, visitors covered by this policy are not employees. As such, they do not need to sign a state oath or an I-9 form. They are however, required to sign a patent agreement. In PPS, the “I-9 signature date” field may be left blank. The “oath signature date” should be filled in using the patent agreement signature date.

Do I need to state the academic purpose of the visit on the form?

Yes, the academic purpose of the visit must be stated on the form.

Can a RB III-25 WOS Visitor receive compensation via the payroll system or via a stipend?

No, they may not.